Sunday 20 October 2013

20.10 - In a World of Pure Imagination



I attended the Mandarin Oriental hotel’s 50th ‘birthday’ party this week. Well, to say I attended is stretching it. I was there because of work (which I shan’t go into  due to my self-imposed rules for the blog). So it’s more appropriate to say I was present.

Nonetheless, it did mean I got to witness one of the biggest parties in the HK social calendar all year, if not for several years. A place to see and be seen for the rich and famous, from tycoons to film stars to star-dust-sprinkled ‘friends of Hong Kong’ who flew in especially. And conversely a chance for the Mandarin - with its location comparable if it were in London to flanking one side of Trafalgar Square – to re-stake its claim to being the most exclusive place to stay in HK.

How to describe, I thought, how the Mandarin went about doing just that? I could talk about the actual red carpet they rolled out, complete with snapping paparazzi pack. The limitless champagne, whose price per bottle when it was whispered to me made my head spin. The gourmet food laid on in miniaturised style. The stars they got to attend – Helen Mirren was a highlight. Or perhaps the performers they managed to recruit to play – the headliner (oddly, but brilliantly) being Brian Ferry.

All of those things were candidates. But the thing that really hit the high-note for a statement of opulence was actually just a sideshow, and many people did not even notice it. The fact that is the case only goes to show how the Mandarin pulled out all the stops. It was a mocked up garden composed entirely of sweets and desserts [a photo filched from a friend, as my own was pretty grainy…thanks to Ruth!].

I had passed it a couple of times while going to and fro in line with my obligations at the do. It was not until later, when the crowd thinned, that I took in that the display was more than just a quirky arty garden scene put on for decoration.

Trees made of macaroons, whose trunks and the body of the tree the macaroons stuck to were edible. Elegant plants complete with dainty flowers (with macaroons at their centre) – all edible. Piles of what looked at first glance to be rocks, but on closer inspection were made to look like a gold-encrusted rockery. Those too, entirely edible.

I stood agog in front of this scene for some time, stupidly asking a member of staff if I could eat this part of this display over and over again, when clearly the whole point was that everything was up for grabs. And so, I had brief burst of Willy Wonka-ish childlike joy, where I started picking up anything from the display and recklessly throwing it into my mouth. I doubted myself, though, when I plunged my hand into the pots of rocky ‘soil’ and plucked up what felt like small black stones. Even these turned out to be jet black chocolate with a slither of almond tucked in the middle.

By that point, if a troop of Mandarin-liveried oompah-loompahs had turned up to provide the next round of entertainment, I would not have batted an eyelid.

No comments:

Post a Comment