Sunday 25 August 2013

25.8.13 - Nothing really matters to meeeeee...*ding ding*!


I've been a very lucky birthday boy this week. Some cracking presents, and a French-themed birthday evening with wine, cheese, onion soup and with Claire. A junk with most of our new friends that coincided with this weekend was the icing on the cake.

That alone would have been belting.

But it wasn't the end of the [tram] line for birthday fun.

As I am certain I have mentioned lots of times, I'm very fond of trams. And the tall and thin, clanking, squealing, trundling, bell-ringing ones in Hong Kong are among the very best. And somewhat brilliantly, you can hire special ones for parties. I discovered this a week or so before I
moved out to HK, and have been pining to go on one since.

Claire played a blinder. She had been telling me for weeks that the junk had trumped a tram party, besides which it was all booked up.

Crestfallen in a childish way, I fell for this without query.

And so, my best present on Thursday - as seen in my FB picture where I am clutching a toy tram - was the revelation that a party had been booked as a follow up from the junk.

Couldn't hope for a more expatesque, frivolously party day - junk with a great bunch of people 10 till 530, a gathering on our terrace from 6-9, and party on a tram 930-1130.



The tram looked great, and had plenty of space for us to spread out our BYO booze and pizza. Upstairs had an aircon cabin - a big lack for the real trams which have one - and an open top section. I think it's as close to having a personal victory parade as you can get, lit up, music blasting, waving to the crowds as you process through town.

Particular highlights included: Getting to pretend to drive the tram...an unnamed member of our party jumping off the top deck, along a tram stop roof and shaking hands with people in the public tram in front of us...and our whole group singing the Wayne's-world-singalong-bit of Bohemian Rhapsody at hundreds of shoppers when we stopped at traffic lights. Tens stopped to take pictures, and the tram had to merrily ding its bell as the lights changed to move them out of the way.

Thanks to everyone who came along ad made it such a blast.

What a great present. What a lovely wife I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment