Friday 21 February 2014

21.2.14 - GUEST ED 3 - The one where I do 3 blogs in 1

On Tuesday we went to CHINA! After several 'Foreigners' immigration checks and obtaining my first ever visa we made it across the border. I was suddenly aware of a strange gabbling coming nearer and louder. A flock of about 300 tiny kindergarten children burst through the turnstiles. They were completely out of control, I felt sorry for the staff as the children were running, pushing, fighting, hiding, crying, throwing shoes! To make matters worse they had to take each child's coat and bag off to to be checked...individually.

The reason we went to China was to shop in Shenzhen  (a five storey market shopping mall). On the fifth floor we discovered Claire's dress maker, Shona. She helped Claire select fabrics from thousands and thousands of bolts of cloth, as she was copying a dress and cardigan for her. We shopped for bags, purses and dresses. I found the haggling process extremely stressful, fortunately Claire can haggle like a PRO!



On Wednesday we did the Big Red Bus tour, the highlight of which was the Peak Tram. Although it was a cold day we were lucky enough to have a clear view from the top, breathtaking scenery. In the cafe a young Chinese couple, also tourists engaged us in conversation. They had been to all the places we had been and had taken similar pictures. They were very taken with my blue eyes and blonde hair, apparently I was the 'most beautiful girl they had ever seen' (coyly blushing) and asked if they could take my photo, which of course I agreed to!

In the evening we went to Happy Valley race course. I was amazed to discover such a place in the middle of the city (all a bit random). Mum and Paddy both came away with a profit, mum 42 dollars and Paddy 120 dollars. The atmosphere was amazing! From there we went to a karaoke bar, with a live band. Paddy entertained us with his renditions of  'Can't take my eyes off you' and 'Mack the knife'. By the time I plucked up courage to sing it was too late :(



On Thursday we continued the bus tour to the Sampan boat ride, Man Po temple and Hong Kong Park. This was the first day we had actually seen sunshine, bad decision to sit up top on the open air bus, me and mum now have sun burnt faces. We took the ferry to Kowloon and had a delicious dinner. Half way through we received an intriguing phone call from Paddy and Claire asking us to come to the Ritz Carlton Hotel. We met them at the bar on the 118th floor. I never guessed we would drinking champagne in the 'HIGHEST BAR IN THE WORLD!' I did feel slightly under dressed as I was wearing Converse. After a quick whizz round Temple street night market, mum and Claire had a foot massage whilst Paddy and I went home to watch Harry Potter!


No comments:

Post a Comment