Friday 3 May 2013

01.5.13 - The Stroll that Broke the Dragon's Back


So, it’s a midweek public holiday. The weather has stayed surprisingly fine. What do you do?

In London, I’m fairly certain our plans would have gone something like this. Find out who is around in London out of our mates. Pick a park near someone’s house and some good bars. Go sit in said park with a ball, some booze and a picnic. Get slowly sozzled most of the day, kick the ball about, retreat to a bar when it gets chilly. Nice day, where do I sign up?

If I were to say to the same bunch of people, though, “Hey, I know. Let’s get up early, travel for an hour by tube and bus to a remote spot, and then hike and jog for a couple of hours through the forest…and then have a bite to eat and some beer. Oh, and not in the park. On a beach.”, I am sure they would think I was quite mad.

The latter is what we ended up doing here, with Claire’s colleague Connie who kindly acted as our guide. We travelled out the southeast of the island and walked a popular undulating trail called The Dragon’s Back, which ends up at a lovely beach at Big Wave Bay (I cannot fathom how it got such a complex name). Cracking day out .It’s also definitely a walk we would do again with visitors – not too taxing, but bracing enough that you earn your time lolling on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment