Friday 3 May 2013

02.5.13 - This is NOT an advert. Honest.


Not much going on today. Thought I’d revert to the earlier style of the blog where I take a picture of a thing, and talk about it.

This is my Garmin GPS watch (other watches are available. Hang on. This isn’t the BBC. They might be available, but I bet they’re RUBBISH), and the magic accompanying doofy that you plug into the computer.

It is a pretty incredible piece of kit to have when running, hiking and organised trail setting is a regular part of life. It doesn’t just track how far you’ve gone and how long it’s taken; it plots your route on a map (which you can send to others); keeps a tally of your pace; how high you’ve gone. A bit techy and sad I know, but it really is a marvel.

It can be a hard task master – it makes me check my pace all the time, so no slacking on flat bits. Plus, it can make you feel pretty desperate on uphill bits when you sweat for 5 minutes up a slope, and see you’ve done just 200 metres. This caused a running companion of mine on an early run to dub it the ‘Bastardometer’.

It is also gives you STATS. So I’ve run, hiked, jogged and set trail for 55 hours over 320km in the first 2 months here. I think that will more than halve once I’m working: 200 miles covered and £0 earned will become 100 miles run and £anything-at-all-is-more-than-zero.

Hopefully that day will come sooner rather than later. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment