Tuesday 14 May 2013

13.5.13 - The doggy with five colours in its hair




I have spotted so many dogs I’ve wanted to get a snap of and failed that I’ve lost count. Claire managed to get this one, where I have failed.

What a sight. It’s hilarious, clearly, but also terrifically weird. Why would you do this to a dog? How do you do this to a dog [there must be salons somewhere]?

Let me share with you’re the pictureless sights I’ve gasped and guffawed at regarding HK’s canines. Dogs wearing jackets/shirts – not like the ones to keep dogs warm at in the UK. It’s hot here. They have been fashion statements. Dogs wearing hats. Dogs wearing SHOES for goodness sake, SHOES! And not functional protective booties, but things that recognisably look like shoes.

I make no secret of the fact that I find this all very odd and in poor taste – but hey, cultural difference etc, someone from the UK can hardly point the finger of ‘weird pet habits’.

It’s not all laughs, though. Pets are dolled up and made out to be toys. I am told this means they are often not looked after properly, or abandoned if they cease to be cute enough. Even, apparently, it is possible here to get cosmetic surgery performed to make your dog more ‘adorable’. That said, this dog looked very cheerful, well-fed and responsive to its own commands to sit. So funny, yes, but there is certainly a dark side here.

* Keeping the blog topical, with a reference to a McFly song that must almost be 10 years old. Contemporary or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment