Sunday 14 April 2013

14.4.13 - HKCC



Second blog post concerning clubs in a matter of days. If you had asked last week if Claire and I were thinking of joining a club, we would have said it was unlikely. They have waiting lists years long and the joining/monthly fees are vertigo-inducing. Plus, we had vague notions about these clubs being exclusive, and maybe not our thing.

I have since eaten every one of those sentiments.

Neil, a long-term HK resident who hails from Liverpool, was kind enough to take us as guests to the season’s last match. The ground, as you can see [disclaimer – second picture not taken by me, forgot the camera! Sorry!] is immaculate, and has an incredible backdrop. The people we met seemed friendly and open. The food and bars were excellent. The club has every sport and activity imaginable available.

The exclusivity etc. is there. But I confess to falling a bit in love with the place.

So here’s the catch. To make it in, I will have to go to trials in August to try to get membership on merit. The level I watched was pretty high; and I will need to perform at my best to have a chance. Except I haven’t played regularly for ages, and have a poor record in trials.

I have painful memories of 4 years of failed county trials for Lincolnshire as a schoolboy. I always performed dismally, and felt sick with nerves…I never thought I’d have to do something like that again as an adult. And actually, more will be riding on now than when I was 14.

Better find some nets and get practicing…!

No comments:

Post a Comment