Thursday 25 April 2013

26.4.13 - Putting the Hong* into Hong Kong



Oh dear. Could I look like more of a Brit abroad in this picture?

This is not an Indonesia snap. It appears that I have not, after all, got the hang of the weather here and its possible effects at all. I managed to do the effects of this photo to myself in HK.

When it came for that first round of golf I wrote about yesterday, I peeked out the window to see what the weather was doing. Thick, lowering, grey-black cloud, and forecast to stay that way all day.

So, I ventured out in cap and polo shirt, as you do for golf, without any sun cream.

By about 4pm that afternoon, well after I’d got out of the sun, I began feeling irremediably hot, despite having the aircon on, and a bit itchy. I nipped to the bathroom to look in the mirror, and cried involuntarily in horror, as I had gone unexpectedly, lividly red.

Turns out, the sun here is so strong that even on an overcast day, 3 hours out in it will burn you to a crisp.

I capped off this ridiculous sunburn – openly got laughed at in the street and on the tram, quite right too – by running late for our Cantonese lesson and in my haste grabbing the first T-shirt I could see and dashing out the door. Fashion disaster, much – red on orange?!

Unsurprisingly, Claire and Cecilie, our teacher, though this was all jolly hilarious, and snapped this for the record.

*At our Canto lesson, we learnt the word for red: Hong.

No comments:

Post a Comment