Thursday 18 April 2013

18.4.13 - Jumbo the resto may be, but HK Island is not



This is a fairly fuzzy pic of the Jumbo floating restaurant in Aberdeen. I have seen it and the other floating restaurants for which the port is best-known a couple of times now.

I cannot yet report how good they are inside, because I have only looked on from afar, but I can see why they are so famed just from the exterior alone. They are an extraordinarily weird mash-up of boat/building-cum-Chinese Temple/cruise liner (Jumbo combo?).

However, my having seen them 3 times already has brought home to me how small HK Island actually is. It is very easy when talking to people who live in the HK Central, north coast, expatty bubble to get the impression that all of the main attractions on HK’s east coast/south coast are very far away and require day trips to see them. This is partly, I think, because many Central-living expats leave the strip very seldom, and partly because expats seem to think that public transport in HK is limited to the tube or taxis. Anything that involves a bus must be MILES away, I mean, God, do they even have, like, running water there?

Despite being on the island’s south side, I have got from my front door to these boats in just over 30 mins by bus.

So anyone thinking of visiting, never fear about getting to see the famous sights of the wider HK Island. But steel yourself to step foot on a bus or two.
PS - We are going to Singapore/Indonesia for the weekend, so there may be a break in the blog until Monday...but expect a blog for each lost day explaining what went on when we were away! I only note this because the last time I got behind, I got a message from one reader saying they were worried I must be ill or something to have got behind, and almost called Claire's parents to check!

No comments:

Post a Comment