Monday 29 April 2013

29.4.13 - a lost soul in the cemetery



I set out to find another hash route up Mount Davis, which sits on the northwestern edge of the island a mile from our flat. It is riddled with ghost villages that were once fortifications and later occupied by now-departed squatters.

I misread the map. Where a trail should have joined a road, I wandered into dense forest with barely discernible path. I pressed on – it had to pop out soon.

Ten minutes later, I had lost the trail. All around was bamboo, gnarly trees and spider webs. I couldn’t even make out the way I had come.

I found a dry riverbed to clamber down, using trees to jump from rock to rock. As I started to get desperate, I stumbled upon a drainage channel. These always lead to civilisation!

It emerged abruptly facing one of the hillside cemeteries that dot HK. After heaving myself over a chest-high wall, drenched in sweat, I walked around the beautiful graves. After admiring how immaculately kept it was for some time, it began to feel eerie – I had not seen another soul and I could see no roads, buildings or entrances.

I rounded a bend and saw fields of plots populated only by orange/white stalk-like birds that flapped lazily away. A dream?

Eventually, I found a man in front of a big gate. Startled, he jumped up looking terrified and stammered, “Is private property!” I gestured at my scrapes, muddy knees and the hill and looked lost. He fumbled open the lock, eyeing me strangely.

Only later did an old HK-hand point out that, with my white skin and being covered in earth, the poor man may have actually thought I was a ghost...

No comments:

Post a Comment