Tuesday 16 April 2013

16.4.13 - kicking [frogs] around in the hills at night



Firstly, Claire wanted me to note that she is unhappy with this choice of picture for today! I apologise that it’s a bit pants…it was very dark, raining and I had no way to do a longer exposure pic.

I took it to mark Claire’s first foray into night-running. We decided to go out into the trails near-ish our flat together so that Claire could get a sense of whether she likes it without having to go on a mass-run, but also to try out a route I am devising. Next Friday, I will be setting (‘haring’) my first run, and I want to practice it to death to make sure I don’t get it wrong.

Success! The trail worked, and Claire took to the light and tricky footing conditions really well. It was strangely relaxing, as we saw only 3 other people for an hour plus.

For company – aside from unseen beasties rustling just off trail – we had rather cute little frogs. They were the size of a £2 coin, and appeared for a flash in the lamplight before hopping out of our way.

Claire went off our reptilian chums when, on a downhill section, we started seeing their large-apple-sized cousins. Not only was their jumping more alarming, but in the poor light Claire accidentally kicked one square on, propelling the poor thing into the gloom and causing her great anxiety due to the unexpectedly squidgy contact.

We spent the rest of the journey with my stifling laughter and Claire crying “Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!” every time we saw a fat frog in our path.

No comments:

Post a Comment