Sunday 28 April 2013

28.4.13 - Post Junk Funk. It's Hammock Time.


I lie in the semi-darkness covered in a film of hangover sweat, grunting gently, trying to stay as far away from consciousness as possible because of its accompanying unpleasant sensations.

In this semi-cogent state, images that might be dreams but I am concerned are replays of the night before swim involuntarily in and out of focus.

Gigglingly smuggling armfuls of Junk Corona into bags, and crowingly drinking our ill-gotten gains on the bus like rowdy 6th formers.

Hanging around the trendiest joints in Lan Kwai Fong, gleefully drinking cheap shop-bought beer, like a 15-year-old with cider behind the bike sheds.

Inelegantly scooping a third vodka jelly shot onto the back of my hand and messily guzzling it with gusto, like at a 6-year-old at a children’s party who’s been told to have just one helping.

Being offered the mike by the Insomnia cover band’s lead singer to do a couple of lines from I’m Walking on Sunshine, and obliging with enthusiasm.

Bantering with a confidence only drink can bring in Cantonese with a very indulgent taxi driver.

Eventually, I could take the montage no longer, opened my semi-glued eyelids and staggered out into the day. For once, we are going to do nothing. After some fortifying eggy-bread, I blearily constructed this enormous umbrella (courtesy of the lovely Seven in China, like the hammock) so that we could have a proper lazy day on the terrace.

Pleased that’s the last Junk for a while couldn’t do that every week, says I. What’s that, Claire? We have another booked next Saturday? As I lower my sunglasses and have another gulp of berrocca, I shudder. Half in anticipation. Half in dread.

No comments:

Post a Comment