Sunday 10 March 2013

10.3.13 - Cricket, Containers and The Quest for Sport


HK is mad for sport and organised fun of all forms. Both things appeal to me to an unhealthy degree. So The Quest for Sport (TQfS) in my workless period is intense, to ensure I get as much organised, sporty action as possible.
Today, TQfS took us to the University cricket Ground, where a friend of a friend (thanks Richard Lawrence!) had invited me to spectate. I wanted to see one game before signing up to anything to check I wasn’t pitching way above my level. It was a pleasure to watch such an entertaining and close-fought game between the University and a talented under-17s team in the gorgeous 25 degree heat. Importantly, the standard was fine. TQfS will continue at some nets soon.
I chose this picture because in the background you should spot an enormous container ship. We were surprised to see these giants lumber past every 10 minutes, frighteningly close to the coast, with no-one batting an eyelid. I later learned that HK remains one of the busiest container ports worldwide, servicing an astonishing 456,000 vessels annually with 243 million tonnes of cargo. At that number, the surprise should be that we haven’t noticed them before.
It’s a reminder that beyond the pleasure cruises and Star Ferry, HK is first and foremost a deep sea port, regional trading hub and economic powerhouse. Good job too, as this will aid The Hunt for Work (THfW)…which begins in earnest tomorrow with my first big meeting. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment