Monday 25 March 2013

25.3.13 - Terrapins and dreams of tortoises



I have wandered past these terrapins in HK Park several times, and could not resist taking a snap (snap, eh? Get it?! Renowned for briskly biting their owners? Never mind, have been a bit starved for conversation today).

They have a fantastic life – get up, have some food (partly what’s around, partly what’s brought to them). Swim about in the shade if it’s a bit hot. Eat some more. Then, when the weather cools, hang out on a rock with their mates surveying to coy carp.

I realised after musing how great their lives are that actually it’s very similar to my life. Get up, have some food provided not by my own labour; hang about in the flat most of the day on my own in the air-conditioned cool; have some lunch; then, when it gets cooler get out onto the trails for a run or go survey the terrapins in the park and hang out with Claire and/or some new acquaintances. Hmm.

We saw some terrapins for sale in a market this week. After watching the HK park critters, I was half-tempted to get some. But then, I saw in the next tank some TORTOISES. I have always wanted some, and Claire has only so far vetoed this on grounds of no outdoor space. Well now we have 1000 square feet of outdoor space that has no nooks or crannies for a tortoise-break-out, and getting a pit for them to dig in is easy. A pair, I think. All I need now is names…Terry the tortoise? Terence? Tom?

No comments:

Post a Comment