Tuesday 19 March 2013

19.3.13 - breaking 110-year old boundaries

 
OK, first of all a confession – this is the first photo I have not taken myself. I will replace it with one of my own sometime soon; but as I was about to head out to snap this marker, there was a grumble of thunder and the heavens opened. First rain I’ve seen here, and it’s pretty incredible.
Nonetheless, I did spot this marker on a run the other day. I wanted to get it on here because the 1903 city limit marker has long since been swallowed up within the city itself., and it allows me to get some historical tidbits on HK 110 years ago in here...

The population now is over 7.1 million; then, it was 284,000. The ‘New Territories’ were genuinely new, having only been tacked on to HK in 1898. These territories make up over 85% of the land mass of HK, so this was quite a bolt-on. Despite their coming on board, however, the population barely grew between the 1891 and 1901 census, because up to 100,000 people died in-between those times from the bubonic plague.
In other news, Chinglish update. In the squash changing rooms today, I saw this beauty in the showers: “No urination offender will be prosecuted”. Oh dear. For the want of a comma or a full stop, this sentence went from a threat of being taken to court to a free license to wazz wherever you like, because no-one’s getting a criminal record for it in these showers, thank you very much…


No comments:

Post a Comment