Wednesday 20 March 2013

20.3.13 - Which way, Frank?


On Wednesday, I “co-hared” my first hash. These are the organised runs with chalk markings that I wrote about a couple of weeks ago, that I am really getting into. “Haring” is what you do when you are the one going out with the chalk and setting a route for others to follow. As I like to organise and plan, and have quite a bit of time on my hands at the moment, I wanted to learn how to do this from an old hand, before taking one on myself.
This picture shows Frank, the other hare, setting what is called a “check”. The runners reach a point where you could several routes. You draw a symbol with arrows indicating the possible routes; but only one is correct. This slows up the front runners, as they have to run down all the routes and check which is right.
Frank and I set 16km plus of trail, with all the false tracks. To do it, we climbed at least 1500 feet; ran on roads, footpaths, bridges and trails; scrambled down a stream bed (no easy matter after the recent rain); and used countless boxes of chalk. By the end, I was the more tired of the two of us…even though Frank had checked this route a few days ago himself, as well as just completed a 20km race this weekend over the 2 mountains.
Oh, and Frank is 70 years old…

No comments:

Post a Comment