Thursday 14 March 2013

14.3.13 - Carry on Banking


OK, so if the title dragged you in because it sounds today has an innuendo-ridden bank-related story in store, then I’m sorry – I tricked you. I refer to what HSBC has done on the very spot shown here: carried on banking, for 148 years.
I thought it was about time to introduce something linked to why we are here: Claire’s fantastic new job in HSBC. When I saw HSBC’s lobby festooned with helium balloons (tasteful) for the 148th anniversary of opening its doors here, today struck me as a good time.
The first HQ opened for business on Queen’s Road in 1865. Early settlers apparently cared a good deal about Feng Shui, and so this HQ was given the auspicious honour of a clear view to the harbour, which it maintains to this day. The version standing now is HQ mark 4, a Norman Foster creation, which was created in 1985 (like me). Once the most expensive building in the modern world, it is now dwarfed and outclassed architecturally by many of its newer, brasher neighbours. Nonetheless, I think it looks terrific when lit up at night (unlike me).
Claire spends about half of her working time in this magnificent building. So far, my main interaction with it has constituted mooching about in my shorts and T-shirt in the strange public space below the building, waiting for Claire to emerge from the staff entrance looking all glamorous to meet me for lunch, attracting suspicious glares from security staff. Such is the lot of kept men…

No comments:

Post a Comment