Tuesday 26 March 2013

26.3.13 - Sun Yat Sen. Without the Sun.



The statue here is of a chap called Dr Sun Yat Sen. Claire and I had noticed that he has many things named after him. On our visit to the SYS pool today, we noticed he has this statue looking off musingly into the middle distance. We have started to try to get into an exercising routine, making Tuesdays ‘meet after work, swim, find somewhere healthy to eat’ night. All public facilities here are excellent: I think all the pools, 16 of them, are olympic sized, clean, well-kept and about £1.70 entry!

I took this shot because I thought SYS looked particularly grand, unperturbed against the steely sky and mizzle with people scurrying by under umbrellas. The building the background is the ICC, which featured in a previous post front of the Kowloon Clock tower – you can see its astonishing scale, cloaked in cloud.

I thought It would be rude not to find out a bit on who SYS was…he is a big figure in the founding of modern China, who helped engineer the fall of the Chinese Qing emperors in 1912 and became the new Republic’s President. I was intrigued to see that he helped found the Kuomintang, the nationalist party that ultimately lost the civil war to the communists some 26 years later. My research tells me that he is respected by the Taiwanese nationalists, the communists and HK people alike…but am I sniffing something political when the HK govt dedicates all these public spaces to a Chinese figure that isn’t a communist?

PS - the blog passed 2000 views today...thanks everyone for sticking with it so far :)

No comments:

Post a Comment