Wednesday 13 March 2013

13.3.13 - HK 3D: don't forget to look up!


“Hong Kong is a 3D city”, said an HK veteran in our first couple of days when walking around the bustling Wan Chai area. Initially, I was nonplussed by this – what did he mean? The buildings are so much higher than elsewhere? Something about its vibrancy? When he went on to explain, he meant neither of these things, but I did not grasp his point until I went searching for a head torch (hash #2 today, at night).
This photo shows 298 Hennessey Road. What did I see? An entranceway to residential flats; a restaurant. Definitely not a massive electronics centre.
I had forgotten the 3D HK lesson: don’t forget to look up. In the west, you get multi-levels shopping centres, but on the high street what you see at eye level is what you get. In HK, space is at such a premium that normal retail premises can span multiple businesses, tens of floors up from an unassuming front door. A restaurant on ground level might be printers on floor 1, a beauty salon on floor 2, a masseuse on floor 3. You have to train your eyes to look for it…I still don’t have the knack.
Eventually, I found an unsigned small opening right of the restaurant that revealed floor after floor of tiny businesses in rabbit warrens of booths, selling every conceivable electronic good. Including head torches.
So, purchase made, I’m off running with strangers, in the dark, on unlit forest trails. With beer. What could go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment